MAXIS GROUP PRIVACY STATEMENT
This Privacy Statement sets out how Maxis Berhad and its holding, related and subsidiary companies, including but not limited to, Maxis Mobile Sdn Bhd, Maxis Mobile Services Sdn Bhd, Maxis Broadband Sdn Bhd, Maxis Collections Sdn Bhd, Maxis International Sdn Bhd and Maxis Communications Berhad (collectively referred to as “Maxis Group”, “us” or “we”) collect, store and handle personal information (as defined below) of individuals in accordance with the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“PDPA”) and the laws of Malaysia.
Please read this Privacy Statement to understand how we use the personal information we may collect from you. By providing your Personal Information to us, you are consenting to this Privacy Statement and the collection, use, access, transfer, storage and processing of your personal information as described in this Privacy Statement.
- What This Privacy Statement Explains
This Privacy Statement explains:
- What kind of personal information we collect
- How we collect your personal information
- How we use your personal information
- When we disclose your personal information
- When we transfer your personal information abroad
- Your right to access and correct your personal information
- Our Commitment To You
We value your trust and are committed to protecting your personal information. To ensure that you can make informed decisions and feel confident about supplying your Personal Information to us when using any of our Maxis Group websites and/or the Maxis eKelas portal, we provide you with this Privacy Statement outlining our practices and the choices you have concerning how your Personal Information is being collected and used by us.
- Defining Personal Information
Personal information refers to any information which relates directly or indirectly to you. This includes any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact you. For the purposes of this Privacy Statement, personal information encompasses sensitive personal information which relates to information relating to your health, political opinions, religious beliefs, etc. For the avoidance of doubt, please note that this Privacy Statement is applicable only if you are a natural person / an individual.
- What Kind Of Personal Information We Collect
In order for us to provide you with access to Maxis eKelas portal and to operate in an efficient and effective manner by providing you with the best service possible, we need to collect relevant personal information from you. The personal information collected by us may include (but is not limited to) the following:-
- contact information such as your name, date of birth, identification supporting documents (including NRIC or passport number), gender, nationality and race, preferred language, current private and/or business address, installation address, telephone or mobile phone number, fax number, email address
- your mobile phone location (to determine the closest Maxis network connection point to enable connection to our network to make calls and/or access our mobile internet services)
- how and when you use the eKelas portal (for example the date, duration and time of your access to the eKelas portal and any information you enter or upload including comments, new and amended content, submissions, rating, tagging and any other input you make on the eKelas portal)
- the equipment you use when accessing our eKelas portal (such as your mobile handset, your computer system and platform) to customize the service for you
- your personal interests and preferences to help us curate and/or source content for our eKelas portal
- clickstream data when you access our eKelas portal and visit any linked websites (for example the pages you access and the content you browsed)
- recording of calls placed by you to our help desk for our service enhancement and improvement
- When And How We Collect Your Personal Information?
We may collect personal information directly from you when you:-
- communicate with us (for example when you submit an application form to register as an eKelas user, or when you contact us for any enquiries)
- interact or register on the eKelas portal
- use our network and/or eKelas portal
- participate in any of our surveys
- enter into or participate in any competitions or contests organised by us
- request for information through our online portals or other available channels)
- respond to any marketing materials we send out
- visit or browse our websites
- lodge a complaint with us
- provide feedback to us (for example via our websites or in hard copy)
Other than personal information obtained from you directly (as detailed above), we may also obtain your personal information from third parties we deal with or are connected with you and from such other sources where you have given your consent for the disclosure of information relating to you, and/or where otherwise lawfully permitted.
- How We Use Your Personal Information
We may collect and use personal information from you or from the category of third parties identified in this Privacy Statement, for one or more of the following purposes:-
- to verify your identity
- to give you access to the eKelas portal
- to assess and process your application(s) /request(s) to register for and use the eKelas portal
- to administer and manage the eKelas portal (including sourcing and curating content for the eKelas portal)
- to investigate and resolve any service issues, complaints or other enquiries that you submit to us regarding the eKelas portal
- to detect and prevent unsolicited or offensive content or any content in violation of eKelas terms and conditions
- to keep in contact with you and provide you with any information you have requested
- to establish and better manage the eKelas portal
- to process any communications you send us (for example, answering any queries and dealing with any complaints and feedbacks)
- to help us monitor and improve the performance of our network, the eKelas portal, our customer relations teams and service providers and the Maxis Group Websites and to make these more efficient
- to maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure, including testing and upgrading of these systems
- to manage staff training and quality assurance
- to notify you about any updates or changes to the eKelas portal and/or content
- to determine how can we improve the eKelas portal and/or content
- to produce data, reports and statistics which shall be anonymised or aggregated in a manner that does not identify you as an individual
- to investigate, respond to, or defend claims made against, or involving the Maxis Group
- to conduct marketing activities (for example, market research)
- to maintain records required for security, claims or other legal purposes
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- for any other purposes that is required or permitted by any law, regulations, guidelines and/or relevant regulatory authorities
- Disclosure of Your Personal Information
As a part of providing you with access to our eKelas portal and the management and/or operation of the same, we may be required or need to disclose information about you to the following third parties:
- law enforcement agencies
- government agencies
- companies and/or organisations that act as our agents, contractors, service providers and/or professional advisers
- companies and/or organisations that assist us in processing and/or otherwise fulfilling transactions and providing you with access to the eKelas portal
- our business associates and other parties for purposes that are related to the purpose of collecting and using your personal information
- other parties in respect of whom you have given your express or implied consent
subject at all times to any laws (including regulations, guidelines and/or obligations) applicable to the Maxis Group.
- Direct Marketing
We may use your personal information to provide you with information about our eKelas programme, any events, portal updates or content, which may be of interest to or benefit you, except where otherwise requested or notified by you.
In certain instances, we may disclose your personal information to our preferred merchants and strategic partners. However, please note that we will only disclose your personal information to our merchants and strategic partners where you have subscribed for particular Services or Products which require such disclosure, and/or where your consent has been obtained, subject at all times to any laws (including regulations, guidelines and/or obligations) applicable to Maxis Group.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that our agreements with our merchants and/or strategic partners include appropriate privacy and confidentiality obligations.
If you do not wish your personal information to be utilised for the purposes of marketing or should you change your mind in relation to your previous decision, please contact us at the Maxis Privacy Centre via the contact details provided below. Your latest written instructions to us will prevail.
- What If Personal Information Provided By You Is Incomplete?
Where indicated (for example in registration/application forms), it is obligatory to provide your personal information to us to enable us to process your application for our eKelas portal access. Should you decline to provide such obligatory personal information, we may not be able to process your application or provide you access to the eKelas portal.
- Your Rights To Access And Correct Your Personal Information
We can assist you to access and correct your personal information held by us.
Where you wish to have access to your personal information in our possession, or where you are of the opinion that such personal information held by us is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or where relevant, not up-to-date, you may make a request to us by contacting the Maxis Privacy Centre via the contact details provided below. You should quote your name, address and phone/account number and provide brief details of the information you want a copy of in any such request. We shall charge a processing fee for searching for and providing you with access to your personal information to cover administration costs.
We will use reasonable efforts to comply with your request to access or correct your personal information within 21 days of receiving your request and the relevant processing fee.
Please note that we may have to withhold access to your personal information in certain situations, for example when we are unable to confirm your identity or where information requested for is of a confidential commercial nature or in the event we receive repeated requests for the same information. Nevertheless, we will notify you of the reasons for not being able to accede to your request.
Please note that you are able to access the personal information setting in the eKelas portal to change or make corrections to your personal information.
- Your Obligations
You are responsible for providing accurate and complete information to us about yourself and any other person whose personal information you provide us and for updating this personal information as and when it becomes incorrect or out of date by contacting the Maxis Privacy Centre via the contact details provided below. This obligation is a condition to the provision of access to our eKelas portal to you and/or any other person authorised or permitted by you to use the eKelas portal.
In the event you may need to provide us with personal information relating to third parties (for example about your spouse or children or where you are the designated person in charge (from an organisation or company) for dealing with us), you confirm that you have (i) obtained their consent or otherwise entitled to provide their personal information to us and for us to use accordingly, and (ii) informed them to read this Privacy Statement at our website at www.maxis.com.my/pdpa/ and on the eKelas portal.
- Online Dealings With Maxis Group
We collect information about your use of our websites from cookies. Cookies are packets of information stored in your computer which assist your website navigation by customizing site information tailored to your needs. Cookies in themselves do not identify the individual user, just the computer used. You are not obliged to accept cookies. If you are concerned, you can set your computer either to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is issued, or not to receive cookies at any time. However, rejection of cookies may affect your use of our websites as we will be unable to personalize aspects of your use of the website.
Links to Third Party Websites
Please be informed that this Privacy Statement applies solely to the eKelas portal and does not apply to any third party websites you may access from our eKelas portal. To determine how they deal with your Personal Information, you should ensure that you read their respective privacy policies.
- Transfer Of Your Personal Information Outside Malaysia
It may be necessary for us to transfer your personal information outside Malaysia if any of our service providers or strategic partners (“overseas entities”) who are involved in providing part of eKelas education content are located in countries outside Malaysia. You consent to us transferring your personal information outside Malaysia in these instances. We shall take reasonable steps to ensure that any such overseas entities are contractually bound not to use your personal information for any reason other than to provide the eKelas education content they are contracted by us to provide and to adequately safeguard your personal information.
- Updates To Our Privacy Statement
We may amend this Privacy Statement from time to time and the updated version shall apply and supersede any and all previous versions, including but not limited to, leaflets or hard copy or digital versions. Please check our website and eKelas portal for information on our most up-to-date practices.
- Our Contact Details
Should you have any queries, concerns or complaints in relation to this Privacy Statement, kindly contact us at the Maxis Privacy Centre during office hours (between 9:00am to 6:00pm, Mondays to Fridays and between 9:00am to 1:00pm on Saturdays) at the following contact points:
Designation: Data Privacy Officer
Telephone: 123 from your Maxis phone /1800821123 or 03-74922123 from any other phone
Fax No.: 03-74922950
Address: Maxis Group, P.O. Box 13222, 50802 Kuala Lumpur
A current version of this Privacy Statement is available on our website at: www.maxis.com.my/pdpa.